Case 5: 45-Year-Old Woman with Diabetes Experiencing Stress
- Kathy Franchek-Roa, MD, Pediatrician at Primary Children’s Medical Center and Assistant Professor in Pediatrics at the University of Utah School of Medicine
- Erin Barnett, PhD, Assistant Professor in Psychiatry and the Dartmouth Institute at the Dartmouth Geisel School of Medicine
- Whitney Lopez, PsyD, Clinical Psychologist at Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall, US Army
- Sheela Raja, PhD, Project Co-Director, Office of Women’s Health Trauma-Informed Care Curriculum; Licensed Clinical Psychologist; Associate Professor; Director of Clinical Behavioral Sciences, Colleges of Dentistry and Medicine at the University of Illinois at Chicago
- Shairi Turner, MD, MPH, Project Co-Director, Office of Women's Health Trauma-Informed Care Curriculum; Florida Department of Health
- Alexander Chessman, MD, Project Co-Director, Office of Women's Health Trauma-Informed Care Curriculum; Family Physician and Professor at the College of Medicine at the Medical University of South Carolina
After completing this case, the learner should be able to:
- Identify challenges patients face with disclosing trauma.
- Apply trauma-informed care and universal trauma precautions.
- Identify the lifetime risk of intimate partner violence in women.
Method of Participation and Request for Credit
There are no fees for participating and receiving CME/CE and MOC credit for this activity. During the period from November 27, 2019 through November 14, 2021, participants must read the learning objectives, faculty disclosures, and complete the educational activity to receive credit.
In order to complete the Becoming ACEs Aware Training and receive credit, learners will need to:
- View the introductory video by California Surgeon General, Nadine Burke Harris, MD, MPH
- Complete either case 1 or 2 (depending on specialty)
- Complete choice of four of nine specialty-specific cases, from among cases 3-11
- Complete and submit the follow-up evaluation
Participants will complete a total of five cases.
Once you have met the requirements above, you will be able to claim credit by accessing the claim credit tab on the Becoming ACEs Aware Training. The claim credit tab will only appear once you have completed all the requirements.
To access one of the specialty-specific cases in this section click on the title and then click on the TAKE COURSE button.